Ultimate Black Belt Instructions, Part 1
The UBBT is a chance for you to do the following:
CHANGE / EVOLVE
1. Change and/or add things to your life that you've wanted to change --and/or add. It's a way for you to set goals for yourself, for yourself, that you also use to set a good example / inspire those who are lucky enough to be in your sphere of influence. If I (Tom Callos) end up having any influence on how you act as a master teacher, you'll be setting your own "UBBT" every year for the rest of your career.
INSPIRE / TEACH
2. Inspire your students by your example. The UBBT is all about showing your students how little daily efforts add up to become giant, significant accomplishments down the road. You get to show them how "No, you're not too busy" to do cool, important, life-changing, life-enhancing things. Have you heard the expression, "Where there is a will, there is a way"? You get to show, in real time, how that's done.
You can SHOW your students what a black belt must study and practice to advance in knowledge, skill, and wisdom. You can SHOW your students how to act when confronted with a seemingly overwhelming obstacle(s). You can SHOW your students how one eats, as a serious, life-long master teacher. You can SHOW your students how to treat a teacher. You can SHOW your students the etiquette, attitude, and demeanor of someone who is as dedicated to the martial arts as you are.
In other words, the UBBT is an opportunity to you to TEACH by your own example.
3. The UBBT is a tool you use to BROADCAST (market) your work, your beliefs, your benefits, and your school to your community. The test asks for TEST TRANSPARENCY, meaning that instead of making your work private, secret, out-of-view, and/or unrevealed ---that you make what you do open and transparent. You DOCUMENT your work --and every documentation, done right, is an advertisement for who you are and what you do for and with others.
Step 1 INSTRUCTIONS:
1. Set some goals for yourself in 2018. There should be some training goals involved, academic / learning goals, project goals, food and health goals, spiritual health goals, getting rid of some vices / bad-habits goals, and goals that mean something to you. These goals, ideally, are goals that you can turn into daily actions (chipping away a day at a time). Goals will be put in writing and discussed with me.
2. You will post goals and make a very public announcement of your involvement, your commitment, and the fact that nothing except death will keep you from sticking to the work. Tell people who would delight in your failure --or, in other words, make so public an announcement that quitting what you set out to do would be such a loss of face for you....that quitting is not an option.
3. Begin a blog about your test, which you will update once a week for the entire test. This is the bare minimum you'll do to document what you are doing and WHY.